Bring your fur babies to the Quarter and enjoy a pizza and the parade!The Mystic Krewe of Barkus isn’t like other Mardi Gras parades: this one has gone to the dogs. Man’s best friend is the center of this parade through the streets of the French Quarter with their humans acting as their escorts.
Barkus was created in 1992 at a meeting of the Margaret Orr (WDSU-TV Weather Anchor) Fan Club held at Good Friends Bar. Thomas Wood brought his dog “Jo Jo McWood,” but people complained about the dog’s neurotic ways while in the meeting. Thomas decided to make Jo Jo McWood the Queen of her own parade and captain-for-life, as a way to get back at them. Thus, the Krewe of Barkus was born.
Barkus is an officially licensed Mardi Gras Krewe, and your dog can be part of the celebration. Registration information is available on their website and on the day of the event. For humans, there is a Barkus Royal Ball.
Barkus themes have included “Welcome to the Flea Market,” “Jurassic Bark,” and “Joan of Bark.”
- Parade begins on N. Rampart at St. Ann and proceeds to Dumaine St.
- Takes right on Dumaine to Burgundy St.
- Takes right on Burgundy to St. Ann
- Takes left on St. Ann to Dauphine
- Takes left on Dauphine to Dumaine
- Takes right on Dumaine to Royal
- Take right on Royal to St. Ann
- Takes left on St. Ann to Charters
- Takes right on Charters to St. Peter
- Takes right on St. Peter back to Dauphine
- Takes right on Dauphine to Orleans
- Takes left on Orleans to the final destination at Orleans & N. Rampart